Highland and Islands Airports works within the local communities to support and develop local initiatives and business opportunities.
HIAL is committed to achieving operational excellence throughout the organisation, and through that, to bring to its customers, staff to local communities we serve.
Within each of our airports, we embrace and support various initiatives and the local community wherever we can. Many individuals and teams undertake and participate in various charity events for many varied and worthwhile causes.
Some examples from the last twelve months include:
- Inverness Airport held a Blas Festival Concert in its terminal building as part of the promotion of local music and cultures in September 2009.
- Fire-fighters at Benbecula Airport recently grew moustaches for a month and had a grand “shaving” event raising over £800 for Prostate Cancer.
- At Barra Airport, local students from a school exchange in Brittany and the local secondary school had a days behind-the-scenes visit to the airport.
- Islay Airport hosts an annual Air Show to raise funds for the local museum.
- At Sumburgh Airport, they recently won a Keep Scotland Tidy Award for their use of recycling which included donating tables and chairs no longer in use to local charities on the Islands.
- In Dundee, the airport staff hosted a fun day for local families to come along and meet Dennis the Menace and some of the airport teams. Their Fire-fighters have been raising funds for IFRA (International Fire and Rescue Association) for over 8 years by doing events such as climbing Ben Nevis in full fire kit and running half marathons. In the next few weeks, they will be holding a car washing event. The total to date raised is over £1,500 and they have also donated time and equipment to support the work of charity.
- Stornoway Airport hosted a “Drag Racing” Event and raised over £5,500 for Macmillan Cancer Support
- Head Office team members worked with other members of staff at Inverness Airport to organise a “Table Top” Fair in support of the recent Haiti Appeal raising over £800 on the day!