Image: David Savile
Welcome to Islay Airport
Famous for great malt whisky and known as the ‘Queen of the Hebrides’
Islay airport is situated in the centre of the Island of Islay at Glenegedale near Machrie Bay which is approximately 4 or 5 miles from Port Ellen.
Famous for its numerous whisky distilleries, Islay is a beautiful Island with many beaches, several historical sites and not too many tourists. On a clear day you can see all the over to Ireland.
History of Islay Airport
The first flight into Islay took place in 1928 when the Glasgow-Campbeltown service was extended to the island. This service landed on the north of the island, where a temporary airstrip was created, but the location of this (on the shore) meant that a new location was required to meet demands for more regular flights.
By 1940, the airport had moved to its new location in Glenegedale, and in 1942, the demands of the war resulted in a hard runway being put in place.
During the war, the airport site was used as a training ground for RAF pilots. After the end of the war, the airport resumed normal passenger services, and this has remained the case.
More Tourist Information
For the latest tourist information, what is on and places to visit and accommodation please visit our Visitors Section within Islay airport. Or contact the local tourist board onwww.visitscottishheartlands.com or www.visitscotland.com.