Highlands & Islands Airports Limited (HIAL) is looking to appoint a new Independent Trustee to Chair the Board of Trustees of the Highlands and Islands Airports Pension Scheme (HPS), a DB scheme which is open to accrual and to new members. The successful candidate will join the six existing Trustees.
The Chair will be expected to lead the Board, provide critical insights and opinions and drive effective decision making as well as broadening the skills of the Board. In particular, we are seeking an individual with a history of operating at a senior level, an effective communicator with a comprehensive understanding of the key funding, investment and governance issues affecting defined benefit pension schemes.
The Board typically meets four times a year in Inverness with ad hoc involvement being expected between meetings.
Skills & Experience
• Significant/relevant experience of chairing trustee boards including the ability to lead, negotiate and achieve a consensus as well as ensuring full participation and open discussions
• Demonstrable experience of meeting the Pensions Regulator’s expectations of trustees, including compliance with the professional trustee standards as set by the Association of Professional Pension Trustees (APPT)
• Previous or current experience of the particular challenges and complexities of working with similar pension schemes and sponsoring employers would be a significant advantage (the HPS is open to new members and HIAL is a public corporation wholly owned by the Scottish Ministers)
• Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders up to Board level
• Demonstrable positive communication and interpersonal skills
To apply, candidates should submit a current CV and a short statement demonstrating their suitability for the role and including an indication of their proposed fee. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with details of the next stage in the selection process.
Applications may be submitted electronically to Inglis Lyon: ILyon@hial.co.uk – the closing date for applications is Friday 3rd May 2019.