HIAL is proposing to carry out coastal protection works along Broad Bay Beach to protect the infrastructure and future operation of the Airport. The proposed works will comprise of the construction of defences at the head of the existing beach and sand / dune interface, along the north-eastern boundary of the airport. This will be in the form of:
- reno mattress and gabion baskets, laid on a slope on the dune face. Length 1180m.
- The existing rock armour defence at the runway end will also be repaired and realigned. Length 400m.
- On the estuary side, some further reno mattress will be installed to halt erosion here. Length 100m.
The works already have planning approval.
They will not impact on the operation of the airport.
The following Companies are delivering the project on behalf of HIAL:
- Project Manager: Turner and Townsend
- Civil Engineering Consultant: Pick Everard
- Construction Contractor: To be appointed
Work is scheduled to commence after the appointment of a contractor in October/November 2021. The work is expected to take approximately 15 months to complete.