Additional assistance provided at the airport
If you have an impairment or mobility difficulties, you may require additional assistance at the airport.
How to obtain assistance
If you require assistance please make arrangements a minimum of 48 hours prior to travel through your airline. Contact details are provided below or at www.loganair.co.uk Please contact your airline directly to arrange assistance.
Loganair can be contacted through this Help Centre link: https://www.loganair.co.uk/travel-help/contact-the-help-centre/.
Please read Sumburgh Airport - Information for Passengers with Reduced Mobility for more information.
HIAL actively engage with NHS Shetland to produce a patient charter and a patient passport (information for travel including hidden disabilities). Front line staff from HIAL and Loganair have received training on supporting our passengers with additional requirements (including hidden disabilities). We also engage with Loganair to provide a streamlined seamless journey through our airport and onto the aircraft.
Sumburgh Airport is pleased to offer the following range of services for passengers with reduced mobility:
- Meet and Greet – a meet and great service is in operation through prior arrangement with the airline from check-in through to departures and onward to your aircraft
- Should you require assistance from your car to the Terminal please call 01950 46595
- Wheelchairs – available at the airport for use from your car to the aircraft and vice versa
- Ambulift – this is provided for safe and dignified transport assistance from the terminal to the aircraft for embarkation and disembarkation
- Assistance – staff will provide assistance throughout the airport process throughout check-in and security checks until boarding the aircraft
- Accessible parking – provided in the car parks
- Accessible toilets – provided both prior to and after the security search area and with hidden disabilities signage
- Engagement with Crohns and Colitis groups to help those affected when travelling
- Many of our Passengers with Reduced mobility are destined for Aberdeen, therefore Sumburgh Airport also liaises with the NHS discharge nurse assigned to Aberdeen Airport.
In partnership with Ability Shetland, Ramble Tags are available at our airport.
The Ramble Tag is a lightweight arm harness worn by a guide on their upper arm, offering a comfortable handle as an alternative to linking arms - reducing any need for physical contact.
Ramble Tags are available from the Special Assistance desk (desk 8) in the main concourse.